I love chicken. It’s so versatile, you can create hundreds of recipes using chicken and they never seem to get old. In fact, I think I have created hundreds of recipes with chicken! Well… this is another recipe to add to that list. I created this one on a whim because I wanted to use up some oranges I had before they went bad. That’s actually how the majority of my recipes get conjured up, using ingredients I have on hand.
Anyway, I think this is a winner. Not only is this chicken so good, it is the perfect main dish to compliment any meal. It’s quick, simple and as a bonus, it can even be prepared a day ahead! The tequila pairs so well with the citrus juices and makes a great summer recipe.
Here is the recipe below.
Tequila-Citrus Glazed Chicken
- 4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime for garnish
For the Glaze
- Juice of 4 large ripe oranges. Can also use about 1 cup of orange juice.
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 regular shot size glass of really high-quality tequila (I used Corralejo)
- 2 tablespoons of orange or apricot marmalade
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped or 1/2 – 1 tsp red pepper flake
- Salt to taste (preferably Kosher or sea salt)
Get the recipe here
Prepare the glaze– Combine orange juice, lime juice, marmalade, soy sauce, chopped jalapeno (or red pepper flake) and tequila in a heavy saucepan. Simmer until sauce has thickened, about 10-15 minutes. Taste and add salt as needed. Remove from heat. Reserve half of the glaze in a separate bowl.
Now it’s time to cook the chicken. Heat your outdoor grill to medium-high heat and cook the chicken until cooked through, the internal temperature should read 165 degrees. While grilling, lightly brush the glaze evenly over the chicken, turning the chicken making sure to brush the glaze on both sides. When the chicken is done, take the reserved glaze and brush over chicken once more right before serving. Top with fresh cilantro and slices of lime.